Saturday, June 19, 2010

NXNE - Day Two (Part 1)

Holy shit that was an epic day. I managed to see 13 bands play. I think it might be a new personal best. Plus I wore my Decendents' Milo Goes To College T-Shirt out thinking "I haven't worn this shirt out in a while. Why not?" I got so many comments. It really surprised me. But it makes sense cause it might be one of the best punkrock albums of all time.

Now to the marathon that was my Friday:

This here author took all the shitty, poorly exposed, blurry photos. SORRY.

I started off at a BBQ on Manning Street. It was sponsored my buddy Ryder's label White Whale Records and a few other music related cats. The vibe was amazing. This party fucking ruled. So many great people and bands (for the most part). And free burgers and veggie burgers plus it was BYOB, which really helped my wallet from taking a huge hit.

Eamon McGrath @ 159 Manning

I was a little late due to the fact that I took a three hour nap which really saved my ass. I got there in time to catch the last few songs from Calgary's Eamon McGrath. The dude certainly brings it hard. Think Neil Young meets Darby Crash. It definitely has a "Canadian heartland" vibe which normally would annoy the fuck out of me. But truth be told this dude sure writes some rocking songs, and is an amazing performer. A great way to kick off the day.

BAD TITS @ 159 Manning

Next up were the "surprise guests" BAD TITS featuring Sabastian Grainger from Death From Above 1979 and Josh Riechmann from Tangiers. The music was fun, dancey electronic/synth. It was nice to see Sabastian get back behind the kit to play drums. I think his solo indie rock stuff is boring. This was a lot of fun. Plus it was in the house's living room/library. Not the most ideal set up but it made it interesting.

Violent Soho @ 159 Manning

All the way from Australia was Violent Soho. Their name sucks, but this bands was fucking incredible. They brought it so hard. All four of these dudes have long fucking hair and didn't give two shits. Their sounds harkens back to early Nirvana, Mudhoney (who I saw later on in the night) and rawer side of The Pixies. A punkrock and early grunge kind of sound. Plus they're on Elastic Peace, Thurston Moore's record label, which tells you something about how good they really were.

Deloro @ 159 Manning

Deloro. Boring. Next.

Fields of Fur @ 159 Manning

Fields of Fur with one of the dudes from Holy Fuck. Don't quit your day job dude. Boring. Next.

Mohawk Lodge @ 159 Manning

Mohawk Lodge was up next, as the sun was setting. This is my buddy Ryder Havdale's band originally from Vancouver, but based out of Toronto. They just got back from a European tour, and all the hard work really showed. They brought a great energy to the set and were totally rocking the fuck out. When I saw them before they definitely didn't have this level of intensity. Great set.

Part 2 soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment