Monday, November 1, 2010

Salem - King Night



IAMSOUND Records
Released: September 28th 2010


So here's the thing: new music can be a decisive topic. One can think that a particular album is amazing while somebody else thinks it's shit. An online publication can gush about something and it's single lone opinion has the ability to sway thousands to freak the fuck out about it (Pitchfork), while this lone reviewer with a handful of readers has the ability sway two or three people with a single opinion (I hope you all get second or third opinions as well). Music gets hyped up beyond recognition via blogs and Hype Machine, which further creates a rift in the music listening public. While some rely on only listening to hyped-up music, others completely shun it. As a music nerd myself for quite some time, I really try to embrace both sides of this argument: To Follow or Discredit trends is popular music?

Salem is just one of these groups. They exemplify everything that is hip and cool in the fall of 2010. The music has Shoegaze and Darkwave elements which rely heavily on synths and distortion. There's also an element of irony and cultural mining in the fact the King Night contains a few songs that directly borrow from Houston's "Chopped and Screwed" hip-hop style from the late 90's and early 00's. This being performed by three very attractive and fashionably-dressed men and women. This is pure and simple fashion music.

There has been many groups in the past that would fall into this category. Where the group's style, sound and look were completely of the time and place. Hell, greats like The Velvet Underground, Bowie, The Jesus and Mary Chain as well others all fit into this category. But at the end of the day the music itself was great.

And while I'm in no way implying that Salem is at any level close to those bands I mentioned above, at the end of the day King Night is a really good album. I am highly impressed with it. But I also understand how many people will completely write this band off, because of their style. I know some of my fellow music-nerd friends won't even give it the time of day, but I have and I like it damnit.

I'll review the new Dolphins in the Future cassette or some obscure shit like that next time for any of you nerds out there.


Similar: Crystal Castles, My Bloody Valentine, DJ Screw


Rating: 8.5


No comments:

Post a Comment