Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bad Indians - Sounds from the Big Room



Lo-fi Psyche/Garage from Ann Arbor, MI.

This is a new cassette from Bad Indians a psyche-garage outfit from Michigan. They are offering the cassette via their Mediafire site so download it if you like psyche-rock or garage rock. Solid tunes here. The cassette is a bit all-over the place as an album. You can tell that the band is still honing their sound here.

In a way it's almost like there is two separate bands/influences going on. On one hand there's a hazy psyche-garage vibe which reminds me of very old Black Lips. The song "Where I'm Living" is the best one of these songs. The other style/sound that this band plays is a stripped down psychedelic style that reminds me a bit off Galaxie 500. I felt that this sound was a lot better. The songs "Baby Doll" and "I Can't" (which reminds me a lot "Walking With Jesus" by Spacemen 3) are great and are the best of this side of the band. They also have a spegetti-western-country vibe to some of the songs as well. Another distinctive feature is Bad Indians use of male/female vocals which I always think is a great idea for bands to incorporate (why is it that only crust-punk bands and Arcade Fire seem to get this?).

A solid release here. My complaint would be that the bands needs to tighten their sound up and figure out what they want to sound like. The psyche-garage thing seems like it's been done to death, but so has the Suicide worship recently (they do a great cover "Cheree", one of my favorite Suicide songs, btw.)


Similar: The Black Lips, Galaxie 500, Suicide, BJTM's Thank God For Mental Illness


Rating: 7.0


Self Released
February 19th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment