Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo



Kurt Vile explores a more classic rock n' roll sound, moving away from previous experimentation.

Smoke Ring For My Halo is Kurt Vile's fourth solo album since departing War On Drugs. One of the reasons for his departure, evident through Vile's earlier solo albums, is that he was interested in exploring more of an experimental sound than the Springsteen-influenced classic rock sound of his former band. But this album is interesting because of how closely he has come back to his former band's sound.

Kurt Vile has defiantly made a truly American classic rock n' roll album here. There is no doubt about it. Even my mom was in the kitchen when I was playing this album the other night (yes I'm currently living at home. It's only temporary I swear) and she remarked how it sounded like Tom Petty and the Dire Straights. I will defer to her 40-plus years of listening to rock n' roll and agree. Tom Petty is far and away the most obvious influence.

This shift back to a stream-lined rock n' roll sound thankfully has paid off. Although the experimentation in sonic layers and textures are largely missing from this album, the strength of the song writing more than makes up for this. Kurt Vile has penned some really great rock songs like "Jesus Fever" and my favorite "Society Is My Friend" on the album. Although the music isn't pushing any boundaries, this is still a great album to just sit back and listen to.


Similar: Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, War On Drugs


Rating: 8.5


Matador Records
Released: March 8th 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment