Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck



Folky-Emo, Starbucks/NPR music.

Let me say that when I first listened to this I was expecting something way more alt-country. But what I got, I immediately went "wtf is this emo shit?" I was not impressed. I was ready to fully rip this album a new asshole. BUT as a personal policy I like to give every album I review a full three listens, and on further review this album has a few redeeming songs.

I've never really listened to this band, but I remember they had an alt-country album some years ago when I was at a college radio station. I remember kind of liking it. This album sounds like nothing I remember and that was disappointing. The Mountain Goats are the moniker of some mid-90's lo-fi folk dude, who was prolific back in the day or something but I could care less now. The dude's voice is really whinny and annoying.

But after listening it a few times I really liked the opening track "All These Vampires" and "For Charles Bronson." The best song on the album, "Estate Sale Sign" is also the most upbeat and fun. That song is actually really awesome. But the rest of the album is boring music for white people with "creative" office jobs, a spouse, mortgage and a stupid golden retriever, who live in the expensive part of town with "unique" cafes and restaurants. Barf.


Similar: Wilco, Starbucks, NPR


Rating: 4.5


Merge Records
Released: March 29th, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment