Monday, March 15, 2010

Liars - Sister World




Mute Records
Released: March 9th, 2010


With each new Liars album, you're always getting something new. This album is a long way from the post-punk of They Threw Us In A Trench (2001) or the experiments in rhythm of Drum's Not Dead (2006). And I have to say that this album rubbed me the wrong way a bit the first time I listened to it, precisely because of its differences. But after a few more listens, I "got it" and like it alot better.

The Liars recorded this album in L.A. which shows on the album (much the way Berlin wore-off on Drums Not Dead). The album has a L.A. rock band sound to it. Especially Queens of the Stone Age, which is why I was all like: "WTF. It sounds kind of like QOTSA. Bullshit!" Then I realized: "Oh wait, I really like Rated R." Then I listened more and starting hearing some of the more experimental/awesome songs and I was like: "Oh shit! This song is fucking awesome!"

"What song Pete?" Well let me you tell you. "Scarecrows On A Killer Slant" is like a buzz-saw, punkrock orgy. It slays. "The Overachievers" also slays, and I think it's basically about how people suck in L.A. It also has best lyrics I've heard in a song in a while:

"I bought a house with you.
We settled down with cats.
There wasn't much to do.
So we just sat and watched the T.V.
...and smoke weed.

We drove the bio-car.
Because we all love the Earth.
It didn't get us far.
And it always sounded like a walrus
...with ulcers."

Awesome. Fuck L.A. This album is a great listen even though it starts off a little weak and QOTSA-sounding. By the middle portion-on, the album is great and it flows from buzz-saw slayings to experimental/psychedelic/electronic/rhythm-based/chilled-out songs.


RIYL: QOTSA, Animal Collective, Can


Rating: 8.5



No comments:

Post a Comment