Sunday, March 7, 2010

Owen Pallet - Heartland




Domino Records
Released: January 11th, 2010


Wow after hearing so much praise for this album I actually went out and BOUGHT the vinyl. BORING. I knew this dude worked with The Arcade Fire on their string arrangements, which is rad because I really like The Arcade Fire. But I also remember playing one of his Final Fantasy albums (his previous moniker) back in the day on my old radio show and thinking it was BORING too.

Yeah there's some interesting arrangements, I guess. Blah. BORING though. Pick this up if you like way-over done chamber-pop, starbucks, condos and your lame-ass marketing job or whatever. Listening to this reminds me why state-sponsored art can be a bad thing. I'm sure Mr. Pallet got a Canadian Artist Grant to put Heartland out because there is way too much extra crap in the arrangements. Keep it simple dude.

Anyways, it's listenable, but whatever. BORING. (Amazing cover art though).


RIYL: Beirut, CBC Radio 1, stuffwhitepeoplelike.com


Rating: 4.5



1 comment:

  1. haha great review. I never understood what the fuss was about with that dude.

    ReplyDelete